Kenwood sat nav DNX5280BT keeps rebooting!

Discussion in 'All Things Technical' started by Graphite, Oct 2, 2015.

1. Graphite

Graphite 23rd June 2016 - Vote LEAVE EU!

I have a Kenwood DNX5280BT (similar to US version DNX6980 I believe) http://www.kenwood-electronics.co.uk/car/nav_mm/nav/DNX5280BT/

Yesterday I stalled my car reversing, and when I restarted it the system shut off and restarted as usual... but then kept on restarting like in this youtube video...

I have tried a few things including the reset button - but nothing has cured it so far...

It restarts about every 20 seconds, and also when the system is off and the key even out of the ignition you can hear a fan start up and run for about 20 seconds and the do it all over again.

It is possible to turn the screen off and back on with the main power button - but this is the only thing I can find that works...

Any ideas?

2. thatscoobyrocks

thatscoobyrocks Well-Known Member

Mick ring Kenwood technical helpline ;)

3. Graphite

Do you have a number for them?

All I could find was an email address for their tech staff... I have sent an email - hopefully I will get something useful back - not just 'send it back to us and we'll fix it and charge you loads of money'...

So... as an alternative idea - any recommendations on a replacement head unit. Ideally interfacing with an android phone - but not crucial as long as it will at least connect for calls...

4. thatscoobyrocks

Mick these people are hidden away just ring a main Kenwood number and ask them for the direct number to technical.

I did it when I had an Alpine HU query on comparability and they were very helpful.

5. Graphite

Dropped it off at Greens Car Radio in Blackpool... They have a technician there that does repairs on site... Except that he can't deal with this - so thay are sending it off to Kenwood... Who don't do the repairs so it's going to Fullers Ltd - who apparently do all the repairs for loads of manufacturers... DOH!

Anyway hopefully it will get fixed eventually - and not cost me more than buying a new more up to date one :think: ... I miss the Sat-Nav lady telling me which way to go - and I hate having a big black hole in my dashboard :D

6. Graphite

Eeek... £125 + VAT - can't cost anywhere near that to make a new one :think:

Anyway I've given the go-ahead - hopefully they will add a turbocharger to it or something for that price :D

thatscoobyrocks likes this.
  7. Graphite

The repair slip says:

Re-write flash ROM, Update Software. Soak tested All OK

£150!

Will install it tomorrow...

8. thatscoobyrocks

Fingers crossed Mick, I thinks it's gonna be fine :nerd: