Discussion in 'General LADS chat' started by S16VEB, Jan 23, 2015.

1. S16VEB

S16VEB Member

Had a delivery today of my new sports cat, HKS ssqv 4 & Richbrook slant gear knob.
    Then I ordered engine oil, transmission oil, fuel filter, pollen filter, cam belt kit and water pump, ngk platinum plugs but I forgot my aux belts so one more call to make before I can crack on. Photos tomorrow (I believe photos are liked around here).

2. HAGGY

HAGGY Admin

yep we like pics !;)

3. S16VEB

S16VEB Member

Photos!
    My first pile of parts and my cat ready to be fitted.
    image.jpg image.jpg

4. S16VEB

S16VEB Member

Only aux belts left to arrive now, just had delivery of the HKS panel filter and timing belt kit.
    image.jpg

garyboxer likes this.
  5. HAGGY

HAGGY Admin

Great stuff !!! nice array of goodies there !!!:)

6. S16VEB

S16VEB Member

Took some advice from Richard at cotcomp to go for iridium instead of platinum plugs, so iridium have been ordered and the platinum are on their way back.
    If I don't see these things moving closer to the car tomorrow I'm going to explode.
    Thanks for all the nice comments guys, hopefully some progress to show soon. I've taken a few ideas from some of your projects (painted header tank top caught my eye earlier), hope no one minds.

7. S16VEB

S16VEB Member

Had a spare half hour before we left the garage today, so I got the HKS panel filter and BOV fitted.
    The BOV was a pain in the arse, I thought two bolts and it's in. Nope, the dreaded circlip was horrible, then found id set it at the wrong angle so it was pushing on the manifold so had to try to twist it around. Anyway, got it on, finally have that sound I've always wanted.
    Also, with the new panel filter fitted rather than the cheap copy part that was already fitted, I'm sure it sounds better but it may just be in my head.
    A couple of photos too, the engine looks very messy at the moment.
    I am very conscious, as a newbie, that I don't want to bore the site to death with this thread. If I overkill please feel free to tell me to shut up.
    image.jpg image.jpg

8. madman

madman Well-Known Member

keep it coming mate this it what people like to see .... well I do

9. S16VEB

S16VEB Member

Should I have two thin pipes running across the front of my intercooler? I've been looking at a lot of engines tidier than mine and quite a lot seem to have them, but I don't know what they are or where they go.

10. S16VEB

S16VEB Member

image.jpg image.jpg Just had an interesting few hours in the workshop.
    It turned out that my new downpipe was about 3-4 inches longer than the decat downpipe I was taking off. So the middle section had to have 3-4 inches chopped out of it and welded back together. Now I think I need to replace the rest of the exhaust so I don't have any problems.
    After a bit of research I've found out what the part I was missing on my intercooler. The vacuum bar, if anyone has a spare one they would like to sell, please let me know, I think they look much tidier than the hoses that have been fitted into mine.
    While the bonnet was open and the intercooler was out of the way I started replacing some of the horrible looking white vacuum/boost hoses with some new blue ones.
    I seem to have one white one which trails off into the bulkhead, but there is no boost gauge on the dash. Can someone please tell me if I need this or can I just get rid as it appears to be going no where, and has me thinking I might be losing a bit of pressure if it's not capped off.

11. snoball scoob

snoball scoob New Member

Hi steve :) welcome and that looks like one sweet ride you got yourself :)

you do also know blue with gold wheels go faster than other colours too don't you ????? ;)

12. S16VEB

S16VEB Member

I knew blue was fastest, but I'll have to cancel them black wheels I ordered :lol:

13. S16VEB

S16VEB Member

image.jpg Had its first wash today, and it was certainly needed! Found a few dents and scrapes I hadn't noticed before, trying not to let it wind me up. Let's just say if I see a spec of blue on my neighbours front bumper there will be issues!
    Three hours outside in about 4c is not good for my health! Take away will make me feel better.
    Hopefully we'll get time this week to get the rest of the service done.

Jwrx likes this.
  14. madman

madman Well-Known Member

very nice and clean it's a pity the weather is crap. I did mine last weekend and now it look's like I didn't bother doing it.
    but we have to keep doing it. as my wife say's I think more of that bloody car than I do of her lol

S16VEB likes this.
  15. Scooby Stevo

Scooby Stevo Well-Known Member

the more pictures the better showing the progress of your car.

by the way everyone knows white is the fastest colour ;)

S16VEB and Jwrx like this.
  16. madman

madman Well-Known Member

But black well......:cool: lol

17. steve@cotcomp

steve@cotcomp LADS Sponsor & Techno Bod

hi steve!

yes the white hose does look like it would be for a boost gauge, you really need to find where it goes under the dash before you disconnect it though.

keep up the good work.

steve.

18. S16VEB

S16VEB Member

Frustrating day with the car.
    We thought putting the cat in would be the end of the EML problems, bloody P0420!
    So the cat went in Friday, was fine all weekend, was fine Monday. Driving to work yesterday, two mins from work after a 40 minute drive, EML pops up.
    P0420 again, cleared in blind hope that it might have been a one off.
    This morning, in the exact same spot, EML again.
    Really annoying me now!

Thanks for the info on the boost hose Steve. There is a little hole next to the clock on the dash that I hadn't noticed before, has me thinking there might have been a boost gauge there previously.
    I'll have to do some digging, if that hose goes no where I want rid!

19. Jwrx

Jwrx Active Member

Rear O2 sensor not recognizing your new cat?

20. S16VEB

S16VEB Member

Can it just not recognise it? To be honest I was going to just replace the sensor. The code was saying bank 1 sensor 2, I assumed sensor 2 was the rear one anyway.